Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Preparation

No matter what you do, whether at work, at home, with your diet or your work out regiment, with a little preparation you can accomplish more than you thought possible. However, when we give little preparation, we get little results.
Last October I decided that I wanted to begin trying to get into the best shape of my life.  I knew it would take some time so I started working out at Crossfit Legacy. In no time I was having fun and enjoyed my new plan. I began to feel stronger and have more confidence, but two months into my work out regiment I realized my work outs were being negatively affected by my eating habits in more than one way.  

1. My extra weight made certain movements more difficult.  

2. Because of my food choices, I wasn't optimally fueling my muscles or brain.  I realized that in order to properly get the results I wanted I would need to change my eating habits.


Now in order to change my eating habits I couldn't just cross my fingers, and wish the weight away, I had to... you guessed it... PREPARE for the big change!  It took me a month of research, getting an accountability group together, putting together healthy shopping lists, clearing my fridge and cupboards of the evil tempters, mentally noting things that I would have to cut out once I made the switch and searching for recipes that sounded yummy but were easy enough to get me started.  I wanted to be as prepared as possible so that I had no excuses once I began.
On February 1st 2012 I gave up sugar, grains, legumes, starches, dairy and processed foods.  And on that same day I can honestly say I also began gaining more strength, energy, alertness and a good feeling about myself.  My preparation was paying off! I lost 17 lbs in 3.5 months and have felt amazing in the process.

But, if you're anything like me you sometimes fall off the wagon... I woke up this morning, was rushing around trying to get ready for work and realized I hadn't allowed enough time to make breakfast and I didn't have any food in the house to prepare my lunch.  My lack of preparation almost derailed my days food intake. Time to start preparing again!




1. look up a few good recipes that I can make to get me through the work week lunches

2. Get an accountability partner or group to not only help encourage me and cheer me on, but to commiserate with when I start craving cup cakes again.

3. Always have fresh fruits and vegetables ready and available for when I need a little snack.

4. Look ahead at my calendar to see what events or things are scheduled in my future and find creative ways to stay on track. Like bringing my own food to a picnic, check a restaurant menu online ahead of time or avoiding the work lunch room when someone brings in hot, fresh doughnuts to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment