Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Fight for my life



  This post is not meant to be depressing. It’s just a peek into where some of my “health” drive originates… Within the last 2 years God has rocked my world.  Since April of 2010, more than 7 friends, family, co-workers, church friends, old friends and friends of friends have been diagnosed with cancer.  Each had a different type of cancer. Some recovered more quickly, but others were not given a good prognosis.  At the time the gravity of their situations did not sink in to my thick skull. But 4 short months later, mortality slapped me hard in the face when my Uncle Tom, the first of 3 within a 3 month period, passed away from this horrible disease in July of 2010… My eyes are wide open now.  Cancer, a word that just a few short years ago was something that happened to “other people” and was something you just got removed from your skin, now stares at me daily through the eyes of so many friends and family.

Each of these loved ones who are/were stricken with this, fight/fought for their lives every day.  Every day the diagnosis is/was forced upon them whether they have/had the will power to fight it or not.
Which begs the question, what should I be fighting for?  What do I take for granted? Is lack of will power an excuse for me to eat poorly? Is being tired a good excuse to skip the gym? I know that I am not battling in the same war they are and would never dare to compare any skirmish I have in life with theirs.  But we cannot deny that each day we wake up we have to choose to Fight for Our Life while we have the opportunity!

I’m a fixer… If there is a solution to a problem, or even a band-aid option I’m all over it… But I can’t fix this.  I can’t ignore it, prevent it or wish it away.  My meager attempts at humor, or making a meal, small talk or doing little helpful things provide only some solace and comfort but no healing.
So what else CAN I do?

Things like Crossfit and Paleo are not the antidote. They do not make me invincible or untouchable.  They will not save me from cancer, a car accident, a lightning bolt or however God chooses to bring me home. But they are hopefully, a means to a stronger fighter. They are practices by which my body will be healthier and stronger should I ever be faced with the harsh physical realities of this world.  I talk about the battles I fight against myself at the gym, with the pull-up bar or my eating habits and self control.  I recognize that these are mere mole-hills compared to the mountains so many around me face… but I’ve decided to become a fighter and do something with the time I’ve been given and hopefully honor these dear warriors, even if in just a small way… So for Uncle Tom, Debbie, Kandice, Juanita, Kat, Brian, Grandma and all the others who have touched my life and have tackled cancer in one form or another I will Fight for My Life by being a healthier Leah. 

2 comments:

  1. Which methons do you personally choose to look for info for your future posts and which exact search networks or techniques do you generally use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personal experience for sure. This blog is a reflection of what happens in my health journey along the way. It's a log of where I've been and where I'm headed. Leah renae

    ReplyDelete