Thursday, October 10, 2013

Partner in Climb

A few weekends ago I ventured into Baxter State Park, in central Maine, with 10 other adventurous souls with the intention of completing a feat for which I was grossly under-prepared: climb Mt. Katahdin.

For our friends from away, Mt. Katahdin is the highest mountain in Maine at 5,269 feet.  Our planned route was approximately 5 miles up and 5 miles back down, which for some hikers is nothing more than a walk in the park, but for this gal, it was going to be a long day.

The intermittent gusts of wind blew in sheets of clouds, making for some gorgeous views.


But despite the beauty, wind is not exactly what you want when you're clinging to the face of a glacial boulder. 

Like perhaps many Crossfitters, my pace goal for this climb was to simply not be last to the top.  The boys, on the other hand (including my sweet, sweet Jeff), launched a bit of a race to crown a winner. This hustle to the top left me, what felt at the time, alone and somewhat scared.

The wind made several attempts to knock me over.  I distrusted the foot holds and the upper body strength needed to hoist myself over each new rock (some bigger than my MINI Cooper).  I doubted myself. And then I cried a little.

When I finally caught back up with Jeff I was angry with him, that he'd left me to tackle the scary part by myself.  He simply responded that he knew I could do the scary part myself.  He saw the strength and bravery I needed, maybe even during the moments when I didn't.  I forgave him, of course, but not before I made him trade me the Twizzlers he had in his pack for the boring raisins I had in mine. :)


I tell this story because this morning I'm typing from the waiting area of Massachusetts General Hospital. Jeff is a donor match (for legal and privacy reasons I'm not sure exactly what I should divulge, but let's just say its more serious than blood...less serious than a kidney) for a patient he's never met. Today he saves a life. 


And while he admits to only a low-level of anxiety about the surgery and recovery, I can only imagine that he's feeling unsure and perhaps even scared. But I sit here, with complete faith and admiration of his strength. Many people, maybe most people, would not make such a sacrifice for a stranger. 


He inspires me every day to be better, to climb higher.


Want to know how you can save a life today too?  I encourage you all to consider donating blood.  It's not painful or scary. And you get a cookie. 
Find out where you can donate: http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation

1 comment: